Asher Student Foundation began in 1946, soon after the end of World War II. Eight veterans, all Christian Scientists, returned to Michigan State University (MSU) to complete their education, which had been interrupted by the war. They shared a desire to establish a peaceful, harmonious, and supportive homelike atmosphere on campus, and this goal brought them together in the home of Mrs. Beatrice Asher. The residence became known as “Asher House.” Soon other Christian Science MSU students were applying to live there as well.
In 1952, the decision was made to become a Michigan nonprofit corporation and to retain the Asher name. The founders felt strongly that Mary Baker Eddy’s definition of the biblical figure, Asher, accurately described their home:
“ASHER (Jacob’s son): Hope and faith; spiritual compensation; the ills of the flesh rebuked.”
With the backing and guidance of Asher Student Foundation’s national office, additional Asher Houses opened throughout the 1970s, ‘80s, ‘90s and ‘00s. Today, Asher Student Foundation supports six houses across the country.