Asher House, Washington, DC
Asher House, Washington, DC is a quaint, historic row house nestled on a quiet street in the heart of Dupont Circle. Trees and beautiful gardens line the street, giving the feel of a small neighborhood. The house is located one mile from the White House and less than two miles from the National Mall. There are many bookstores, coffee shops, restaurants, and stores within blocks of the house. It is an ideal residence for student interns.
Applicants must be practicing Christian Scientists who rely on Christian Science for healing and who uphold the moral standards of Christian Science. Membership in the Mother Church and/or a branch church is encouraged.
In addition to serving students, we have expanded our housing services to include recent college/university graduates who are working out their post-graduate life and career paths. In May 2016, we successfully piloted the School-to-Career Transition Initiative (CTI) at Asher House, Washington DC. As of September 1st, 2016, the program includes all Asher Houses.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO BE A CTI RESIDENT?
- Graduates and individuals who have completed or partially completed an accredited degree or certificate program are welcome to apply.
- Candidates must be willing to actively participate in the Asher House and local Christian Science community.
- Candidates must a) have a plan to be working, b) be actively searching for employment or c) be working with a career mentor.
WHAT ARE CTI RESIDENTIAL REQUIREMENTS?
- CTI residents abide by the same house rules as any Asher resident.
- CTI residents may live at Asher House, DC for up to one year.
- CTI residents will have monthly check-ins with the House Manager to support the CTI resident and to determine ways to improve the program.
- CTI residents actively support ASF as participants in ASF activities and as ambassadors who share Asher, DC with colleagues and friends.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
Please complete an application and return it to:
Matt Orlando, House Manager
Asher House, Washington, DC
1634 19th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20009-1684
Other household amenities include:
- Parking spaces for rent behind house ($295/month)
- Laundry room
- Heat & air conditioning
LAC members have experience and expertise in:
• fostering youth;
• addressing financial, business, legal, personnel and practical matters;
• making connections for outreach and promotional purposes.
LAC members play a key role in introducing the Asher team to the local Christian Science community (CSOs, churches, DB Chapters, etc.).
LAC members are all volunteers. They recruit and select their own members (3-5 total) and elect a chairperson to serve as the main point of contact for the House Manager, the Director of Operations, and the Executive Director.
LAC responsibilities include:
• metaphysically supporting Asher Student Foundation and the local Asher House,
• backing up the House Manager as needed,
• being on-call for special assistance related to resident applications, maintenance issues, and special outreach events at and for the House,
• being available as mentors for residents who would benefit from career resources and internship connections,
• looking for opportunities to represent and promote Asher House in the community.
If you are interested in being a member of the LAC for Asher House, Washington, DC, please contact Director of Operations, Joy Booth, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- American University
- Argosy University: Washington, D.C.
- Art Institute of Washington
- Catholic University of America
- Chamberlain College of Nursing: Arlington
- Corcoran University of Art and Design
- Gallaudet University
- George Washington University
- Georgetown University
- Howard University
- Marymount University